Also today a pair of Whitethroat were feeding young.
Morning Report: 4:18am - 9:28am
Telford sunrise: 4:47am
6.0°C > 13.0°C. Mainly clear, some clouds at times. Moderate W wind, freshening somewhat and feeling cool; very good visibility.
(76th visit of the year)
- I give up with adult Great Crested Grebes: I counted 9 this morning. Are they really fluctuating or do they hide? And if so where?
- single juvenile Coots from brood #3: 2 juveniles from each of broods #4 and #6.
- now usual array of strange bugs and things.
Counts of birds flying over the lake (in addition to those on / around lake)
- 13 Greylag Geese (2 parties)
- 9 Canada Geese (3 singles; 2 groups)
- 13 Lesser Black-backed Gulls
- 1 Collared Dove
- 130 Jackdaws
- 125 Rooks
- 1 Starling
Count of hirundines etc
- 9 Swifts
- 3 Swallows
- 4 House Martins
Count of singing warblers
- 7 Chiffchaffs once again
- 1 Willow Warbler
- 13 Blackcaps
- 1 Common Whitethroat again
- 7 Reed Warblers
The counts from the lake area
- 2 Mute Swans
- 7 (5♂) Mallard again
- 9 + 2 (1 brood) Great Crested Grebes
- 3 Moorhens
- 34 + 5 (3 broods) Coots
An alarming view of a Scorpion Fly (Panorpa communis) with prey.
This is a Mirid Bug and probably Amblytylus nasutus.
Aah! nice warm sun. Mrs. Blackbird will worry about sorting the feathers out later!